I have very few shoes and a small closet of clothes – no one would ever describe me as fashionable. I keep things simple so I have more room for books. Lots of books.
Sadly, I’m running out of space but it’s a hard
obsession habit for me to rein in because I honestly don’t believe there’s such a thing as too many books.
I decided on the weekend that it might be fun to have a list of the unread books weighing my shelves down – my ever-growing To Read pile. I could cross titles off for a sense of bookish accomplishment.
I got lost looking at my shelves, running my fingers down the spines of old friends – remembering the stories, characters and lives held within. When I finally started writing my list, I realized the one shelf dedicated to unreads was no longer just one shelf. The unreads were now hiding among my much-loved favourites masking just how many books I have to read.
What I thought would be a one-page list turned into — well, much more than that.
This story ends with my putting a halt to any book buying until I’ve knocked a few books off my list. It’s not going to be easy but I’ll do my best.
And I need to learn how to speed read.
A quick peek at a few that are waiting to be read.
- Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
- A Week of This – Nathan Whitlock
- The Nest – Kenneth Oppel
- Double Dead – Chuck Wendig
- The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
- Multitudes – Lucy Caldwell
- The President’s Hat – Antoine Laurain
- The Green Road – Anne Enright
- Revival – Stephen King
- The Rest of Us Just Live Here – Patrick Ness
- Any Known Blood – Lawrence Hill
- The Dovekeepers – Alice Hoffman
- The Circus at the Edge of the Earth – Charles Wilkins
- The Devil in the White City – Erik Larson
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius – Dave Eggers
- The Book of Lost Things – John Connolly
- Us – David Nichols
- One Second After – William R. Forstchen
- The Nest – Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney
- Brain on Fire – Susannah Cahalan
- Mercy Among the Children – David Adams Richards
- The Night Watch – Sarah Waters
- If I Fall, I Die – Michael Christie
- White Oleander – Janet Fitch
- The Immortal Life of Henriette Lacks – Rebecca Skloot
- The Birth House – Amy McKay
- Wenjack – Joseph Boyden
- Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler – Trudi Kanter
- All My Puny Sorrows – Miriam Toews
- Learning to Walk in the Dark – Barbara Brown Taylor
- Go Tell it on the Mountain – James Baldwin
- The Uncoupling – Meg Wolitzer
- The Hidden Life of Trees – Peter Wohlleben